Saturday, August 2, 2008

Fashion's Deterioration when Amy Winehouse becomes a Muse...

Chanel's Ad campaign makes me snicker...




Sometimes I wish fashion was about beautiful women, it seems so deluded, I wonder what Coco Chanel would think if she saw what Chanel is today. But perhaps, the problem isn't fashion, but the rest of the world, who could care less about the aesthetic of chic, and more about the aesthetic of quick ass.

So now, the world is looking for hot, instead of the ageless beautiful, but I wish more fashion houses had the integrity to only display beautiful and not be destroyed by the hype. I was reading, "Fashion is Spinach" by Elizabeth Hawes, and she was describing how the best fashion houses never cared about trends, they knew women would buy their clothes because they were beautiful.

Why is everyone searching for something more from clothes? Sex or music? Why does that have to be involved. As much as I do like Calvin Klein's aesthetic of simplicity, I do wonder if his over sexualized images had something to do with the decline. I wonder if Prada's goal of blank models is needed, when models have translated into more than just mannequins.

I wonder a lot about all these seemingly unanswerable questions.


No comments: